Would you date/begin a relationship with someone who has a child?

We all have our relationship deal breakers, a common one is whether or not you would date or begin a relationship with a woman or man with a child. The stereotype often associated with this scenario is not wanting to deal with the baby mama/daddy drama.

Whilst some people are up for dating a man/woman with a child,others are far from up for it. Some common responses to this topic are:

“I want my first child to be their first child” or “I don’t want to play step parent to another man/woman’s child”. So let’s look into this further. I totally understand where people are coming from with the whole I want my first to be their first. You want to share that experience together and if they already have a child it kind of takes the excitement away is what your probably thinking which could be true, but at the same time you never know till you’re in the situation because let’s face it, this is all based on assumption and not facts.

Secondly some people have the mindset that automatically they will be playing this child’s other parents role forgetting one important thing this child has a mum/dad already.There’s of course situations for e.g. were the dad is non-existent basically a waste of space/dead beat. The woman may want you to be a role model for her child but she knows you’re not the dad and doesn’t expect you to be.(Well maybe some do expect you to be, different people have different mindsets)

Moreover if the relationship is long term and you do end up marrying this person with a child  for instance, you will be a step parent and will therefore play a huge role in the child’s life. If you genuinely believe you are not up for the task you should not waste the other persons time and get involved with them to begin with.

To conlcude everyone has a preference in regards to this topic. Although some are comfortable getting involved with someone with a child  others would prefer not to, it’s all comes down to the individual.

However, One question I will end with is this. If you find a person that ticks all the boxes, I mean a beautiful/handsome person with the personality and brains to match would you give that up because the person had a child? Would you go with the flow and see where it goes? Or would you avoid the scenario completely?

I would love to know your views on this topic. Would you date someone with a child?

22 thoughts on “Would you date/begin a relationship with someone who has a child?

1. Journey Within to Journey Without says:

Ohhh I certainly love this post & this topic! The topic comes across my mind often and I think it is something that should be discussed more often. But for feedback, I would certainly date if he were to have children. 🙂 I honestly think it’s like frosting added on top of cake! I think it could build a deeper connection between two people dating if they have children 🙂

Liked by 2 people

2. Shandean™ says:

I’m not sure I could, it depends on what the ‘other’ parent is like. It’s my belief that to date someone with a child, one must be ready to treat that child as their own from the very beginning, otherwise it will not work. To treat that child well can be impeded by the other parent running interference….. So you know. Being that my husband and I are about to have our first together, it’s quite a journey for two people to make together.

3. moepayne1993 says:

Hi! I think that this is a very common topic that my friends and I discuss all the time. It is so rare now to bump into someone that doesn’t have children. I am in love with a man that has a baby by someone else. It definitely hurt me when I found out but being confident in who I am, I had to make the decision whether or not I could deal with this. Reality is I know how hard it will be but I know that the relationship with his baby’s mother has nothing to do with me.

So I say if he is worth it, support him in being the best father he can be.

4. eshinalidoreen says:

it depends. If you are ready for it then well and good. The only problem can be that baby mama, those women can make a living hell around you. I would, i love kids but it comes with agreements.

I nominated you for the Sunshine Blogging Award. Have a peep on my blog of the questions I want to hear from you.

5. ladyinthemountains says:

Funny, that was my topic tonight but from a different viewpoint. I will date someone with a child. I have but prefer not to. I like the freedom of not having to worry about kids when I date and the freedom of the man to not have to worry about kids, too. Besides, I don’t want to get attached to a kid and then lose them in addition to a man that I might love.

6. EttaD says:

Yes! And I married him, we both brought children into the relationship. Kids don’t always get along, but we’ve made is work for the past 5 years. However, I do understand your points. But I think it may have a lot to do with age, people who are younger can afford the option of being picky so to speak. But if both parties have already had other relationship, there’s little chance to finding someone without kids.