Should you share your password with your partner?

I’ve come across a few articles lately that talk about couples sharing passwords/pass codes to both their phones and also their social media platforms.

img_3361-2

In regards to this topic I understand why people would share their passwords and also why others would choose not too. If my partner asked me for my password I wouldn’t hesitate to provide it.Firstly because I have nothing to hide and secondly because I would be confident that he trust me enough not to use it as means to check up on me.

Trust has a big part to play in regards to the exchange of passwords. If you decline to give your password your other half may then begin to wonder why you are hesitating to hand it over. This in its self could cause further issues in the relationship with them assuming you have something to hide. Your partner may have no Intentions to check it, they may simply just want to see your reaction and how willing you would be to provide it. (Some sort of test lets call it)

On the other hand we are all curious individuals and the fact that we have access to our other halves password may result in us wanting to snoop or be nosey. So is knowing each other’s passwords asking for trouble?

Moreover, many say that when you become partners you become one. I believe this is mainly in regards to a married couple. However, wether a couple is married or not, I still believe that everyone is entitled to a private life. Everything is not for your partners eyes e.g if a friend shares something very personal with me,I do not want my partner reading it, as its confidential between me and my friend and not for their eyes.

The length of a relationship should also be a deciding factor when exchanging passwords. If you have only just begun dating someone or it’s only been a few weeks or months do I believe you should share your password. I personally wouldn’t, reason being that I believe that before you share something so private you should at least be in a very established relationship.

Furthermore Individuals should take precaution if a relationship ends. I would suggest your password is changed immediately in this circumstance. Some people are bitter and spiteful when a break up happens and your social media may be were they target you, if they have your password.

To conclude the decision on wether to share ones password is down to the individual. As long as you are confident that your partner wants you to share your password  for the right reasons and not because their are trust issues in the relationships for instance.

If your partner does choose to give you their password, do not breach their trust by gaining access without their permission. We all get nosey, but if you genuinely believe you have no self control, just don’t ask for the password.

Lastly always bear in mind that if your partner has access to your phone and is able to read personal messages from your close friends that are private it could could cause major issues for your friendship, if they learn that your partner has read them.

I would love to know your views on this topic. Would you share your password with your other half?

24 thoughts on “Should you share your password with your partner?

1. uniquelytasia says:

I total agree with you on this post. Some people have the wrong intentions when it comes to getting the password which also shows insecurities. Great post tho ❀

2. shelldab says:

What are the “right reasons” for sharing a password? I guess my biggest thing with this is that if a password exchange is warranted, someone’s already messed up or someone has jealousy/trust issues that won’t be solved with a password exchange. Plus, like you said, curiosity will lead to a snoop binge and we always find what we are looking for, don’t we?

Liked by 2 people

3. Lady from Manila says:

As you’ve said, it depends on the length of the relationship, not to mention how close you are to each other. I think it’s a sweet thing that reflects the love and trust within the relationship. By all means, it’s perfectly okay while the going is hot. πŸ˜‰

4. D'Dream says:

For me I believe relationship shouldn’t cancel individuality. Its not fair judging your partner base on their easiness to provide them with their password. That’s simply shallow hinking

5. gislyreal says:

I think its a two sided thing and you rightly explained. Password secrecy or publicity isn’t really the issue but boundaries have to exist in my opinion. What of those without password hassle and yet know how to be perfectly sneaky?

6. revcbyars says:

I agree with your post in the sense of trust. The issue, as I see it, is that this is somethings that should be seen as a form of commitment and shouldn’t be entered into lightly. Unfortunately, in our world today we put the cart before the horse in our relationships. We begin relationships sharing the things that were meant to be held back and then develop the things that lead to a true, God centered relationship that would lead to the most blessed relationship that we have been gifted, marriage. Media doesn’t help us in that since often the biggest question they put forth in relationship questions is do we wait until the third or fourth date before we sleep with one another? How often also do people after getting having sex freak out when the words, “I love you,” are put out there. It was called “making love” for a reason because sex is meant to be an intimate act shared with someone whom God has given you as a partner for life. I know these views aren’t popular, but God didn’t make us to be used by one another for self-gratification. We are made for greater things than that and all ladies are more valuable than that. As creations of God we are wonderfully made and if we were to live our lives with that in mind I truly think things would get better. Our lives are valuable, our bodies are God’s temple, and we are not just placed here to be tossed aside. God does not make trash. Just my thoughts for you. Peace to you. God love you.

Thank you so much for sharing your outlook on this was interesting to read and understand your perspective. Look forward to check out your post and reading insightful stuff πŸ™‚

7. Aziz Brown says:

First off, if I committed someone in anyway it means our lives are one. A phone is a small thing compared to the issues we will face in our journey through life. I would definitely allow them to have my password because they have the key to my heart, what is more valuable than that. Anybody that knows me, knows I tell my partner everything, so if you don’t want them to know, I am cool with you not telling me. TRUST is a big part of a relationship and communicating that trusts means being vulnerable with all you are. I don’t prepare for the end because I am about creating many beginnings, so a password on a phone will never be an issue because they will be equipt with everything they need to evaluate me. So here is my phone, password, and comfort. We are building forever not a moment.